New album "Ode to Silence" is out now!

1640910665242-odetosilence.png

New album is out in a few hours but is already available in some countries. Sadly, “Leonard Cohen Nights” and “I’m Still Here (Chernobyl)” are not on the album. I was personally looking forward to these two, especially “I’m Still Here (Chernobyl)” but hopefully they’ll get released at some point.

Here’s the track list:

1. A Think Piece
  2. Crash to the Middle
  3. Time Machine
  4. Ode to Silence
  5. One of These Days
  6. Polaroids
  7. The Way That You Remember Me
  8. Can’t Be You
  9. Windows
  10. After the Deluge

The only tracks that haven’t been released yet are “The Way That You Remember Me” and “Windows”.

@shawn Exciting!! Totally didn’t expect to end with After the Deluge… that’s an interesting choice. That epic solo is responsible for closing the entire album then!

The Way That You Remember Me was a single Jason released in April 2020, so it’s likely the oldest song from this album. Beautiful song that fits right in with this group. Can’t wait to hear Windows, and too bad that the two songs with the most unique titles didn’t make it. Wonder if we’ll ever hear those two one day?

WOW just came across a preview for Windows on iTunes UK… I suspect this will be everyone’s favourite. Pure vocals like Crash to the Middle, very vulnerable little acoustic song just like the original Wish, Winds of Change, etc… Jason mentioned Gregory Alan Isakov as being an inspiration for this album and this song makes that obvious. 5:19 length makes it the longest song he’s ever recorded outside of Lifehouse. Cannot wait!!!

That’s right! I forgot he released “The Way You Remember Me” (I think it was for charity?). Do you remember where Jason mentioned GAI as an influence? I’d love to read the article (unless it was just a post?).

I totally see some similarities to GAI in a couple of the tracks on here and I’m really pumped now for “Windows”. I was going to wait until tomorrow but you’ve convinced me to listen to the preview and I am thoroughly impressed. This sounds like it has the potential to be my favorite off the album; possibly my favorite solo track he’s released. I’ll find out in a few hours!

1 Like

@shawn of course I can’t find it now that I’m looking for it haha. It was within the last two weeks that I saw it, likely on an instagram story linking to an article about J’s music or something like that. I just remember smiling because Greg’s one of my favourite artists :slight_smile:

Spent tonight making a new Wikipedia article for the album – haven’t written one since I made the Flight, Hurricane, and OOTW pages :wink:

@robert Wow! Nice job. I had a feeling it was you keeping up the pages over there. I’m guessing you were the Robert posting lyrics to AZ Lyrics as well? That sure came in handy putting this site together!

Here’s the lyrics for “Windows” - this is definitely my favorite solo track.

Windows by Jason Wade

Whoever said, “this too shall pass” must be out of their minds
'Cause every day, every hour and minutes a climb
You said with a sigh

This was the room where she would’ve been sleeping tonight
Did we do something wrong?
Way too long nothing we didn’t try
I just don’t know why

And I still remember that look on your face
When the windows closed on us
And I don’t know how long it’s gonna take
And how long the waters will be rough
There will come a day when the sky opens up
Even if it’s not like it was
We’ll still be together when it does
Still together when it does

Whoever said, “time heals all things” must have a broken clock
'Cause we have been waiting awhile and the pain just won’t stop
Yeah, it just won’t stop

These were the clothes that she would’ve been wearing tonight
And this was the book with some text to get everything right
Yeah, we read it twice

You said with a sigh

@shawn I’ve been caught haha – been contributing to AZlyrics for a while now. Glad it was helpful! I love artists whose voices are softer/raspier and not crystal clear. There’s something fun about having to decipher the occasional lyric based on the ones around it that it can understand… maybe not every single line cough cough Dragonflies cough but certainly once or twice in a song. When you figure it out a month later it’s like hearing the song new again!

These lyrics look right to me too; a lot of things you got I didn’t catch on first listen so I’m glad to have this forum for bouncing them off one another. For that line about the book, I’m hearing “some tips to get everything right” – I think this makes sense in context. I wonder if he’s referring to the Bible?

@robert I have to agree. I’ve had fun figuring out the lyrics (especially Demos Vol 1) just in that it makes take time to stop and really listen to the words and understand the song. I find my mind wandering when listening to music and I don’t let it soak in so it’s been enjoyable to take the time to do it again.

My first listen of “Windows” was like that. I finally just stopped, started it over and listened to it. Really well written lyrics!

Definitely tips instead of text. That makes much more sense and flows nicely.

@shawn said in New album "Ode to Silence" is out now!:

@robert Wow! Nice job. I had a feeling it was you keeping up the pages over there. I’m guessing you were the Robert posting lyrics to AZ Lyrics as well? That sure came in handy putting this site together!

Here’s the lyrics for “Windows” - this is definitely my favorite solo track.

Windows by Jason Wade

You said with a sigh

This was the room where she would’ve been sleeping tonight
Did we do something wrong?
Way too long nothing we didn’t try
I just don’t know why

Whoever said, “time heals all things” must have a broken clock
'Cause we have been waiting awhile and the pain just won’t stop
Yeah, it just won’t stop

These were the clothes that she would’ve been wearing tonight
And this was the book with some text to get everything right
Yeah, we read it twice

You said with a sigh

Oh wow, Windows definitely my fav along with Ode to Silence. Jason’s definitely talking about trying to get kids right? At least that’s what comes to mind on my initial listen. And it hits right in the feels as my wife and I were also trying on our early years. Didn’t expect to start my new year with being so emotional haha.

This record personally is much better than Paper Cuts. I love each track. I’ve been keeping a Think Piece, Crash to the Middle, One of these Days on repeat for so many times. That said, still don’t like The Way that You Remember Me that much.

This collection of songs definitely fix my itch wanting for more Lifehouse songs. I don’t mind if Jason go solo all the way after this tbh. Although we might not have the typical up-tempo, rock Lifehouse sound from Jason’s solo records.

1 Like

Just got an email from Allswell Records saying Jason’s solo album is coming out on CD and Vinyl! :confetti_ball:

1 Like

@snowfist
Oh gosh, WOW the words hit differently in that context. I wonder if Windows is about a miscarriage then. Jay keeps the lyrics vague enough that it might not be (as he has done his whole life, writing about specific things vaguely enough that they can be interpreted how the listener wants), but the song makes so much sense if this is indeed true. An unfortunate circumstance <3

I just read the lyrics again with the interpretation from @snowfist and that makes so much sense! I wonder if this is about Jason personally or someone he knows. Either way, it definitely cuts a little deeper from that perspective.

@robert yes for sure. if this is about Jason, gosh my heart breaks for him. Do you guys remember when Head Movies was just released? I believe it was during that time. I remember Jason & Steve talking about they were recently heartbroken. I wonder if Jason being heartbroken referred to this situation.

Also, curious on the timing of these song being written. What are your guys thoughts? I think After the Deluge may be the oldest since it’s about his father.

1 Like

@snowfist I was thinking the exact same thing. And it wasn’t just after Head Movies – when they published the very first single (Technicolour Sky), the description for the band on iTunes said something close to “fuelled by mutual heartbreak, the band wrote and recorded twelve songs in fourteen days”, referring to the Sweet Delirium album. I also found a playlist of Steve’s on Spotify recently labelled ‘Delirium Ref’ and another one labelled ‘Ozwald Ref’ that were both last added to in March 2018, so whatever this heartbreak was must’ve been in the late '17, early '18 range when the duo was formed.

Deluge feels oldest to me for that reason too. It’d be great to hear the stories behind these songs the way he did for Paper Cuts for sure! Perhaps some of the meanings hit too close to home for him to comfortably go into detail…

2 Likes