Solo Album #3 (A Likely Story)

Jason today posted on his Instagram that he’s working on a solo record with some old demoes: Butterfly and Eighties are both mentioned. Exciting times!

@robert yes it is exciting! though I hope it’s not too overproduced like Along The Way.

I wonder if we only get those two songs or will there be more reworked old demoes. It’d be epic if we can get Climb and Winds of Change too.

1 Like

@snowfist Agreed - these are sacred recordings, it takes a lot to improve upon them :grin:

I would love a Demos Vol.2 release sometime soon too! So many old tunes we know about but never heard… White Witch, Porcelain Mask, Dear Mr. Tumnus, the full Song for Pete, Tired of Waiting, etc etc. Would be pretty cool to get those eventually!

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing news! The first time I ignored one of Jason’s Instagram notifications… serves me right lol

Eighties is easily my favorite b-side so it’ll be interesting to see what he does with it. Haven’t heard much about Garden of the Sun so I wonder if they just finished that and are moving on to this.

Edit: Steve just announced a new solo album “Waiting Room” and OZWALD just shared a snippet of a song titled “For Your Horse”.

2 Likes

@shawn Nice, this is awesome… the more J, ØZ, and SS music the better. After Future Wars I’m very excited for this new LP; one of my favourite releases so far this year.

@Robert Same here! Future Wars seemed to get a lot of positive feedback from what I could see. It definitely seemed to catch more attention than the regular Oz LPs.

I tried to get into Steve’s debut but haven’t gotten into it yet. I try again every now and then when I’m in the mood. I’ll definitely give his follow up a listen though.

1 Like

Jason just posted on Instagram a short clip of a reimagined Wash Acoustic with strings, similar to Wish from OOTW and Time Machine from O2S. He says this and new originals are coming next year:)

1 Like

Just saw this too! Clip sounds nice! I can’t wait for 2023.

Also, this is the first year that Ozwald hasn’t put out a new original record. I wonder if Garden of the Sun will be their best given the extra time? Sounds like next year will have a lot in store.

The clip was just gorgeous. I said this before on the Lifehouse B-sides forum, and I said this again, I would love Jason to reworked a whole album with different arrangements. Would be lovely to hear Anchor or Empty Space in totally different sound. A man can only dream!

On a side note, if I remember correctly, Jason has mentioned that he will release his version of the Beatles covers right? Ozwald has done so, I imagine his will released closely after Ozwald’s

2 Likes

Did he? I forget now. It’s hard to keep track lol I know he’s mentioned a few things he had laying around he wanted to release but haven’t been (Demos Vol 2, for instance). I’m thinking next year we may see a couple of releases each from Jason and Oz.

Yup, here’s a snippet of Jason’s version of Get Back. I like this version much better than Oz’s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWtHT9VLB1a/

1 Like

Chucky Blondin is out!! Trying to decipher the lyrics now… I like this song a lot. I could see it being a deep cut on a Lifehouse record.

1 Like

I agree, I love this one! Listened several times today alone. I’ll see what I can make out and hopefully between the two of us, we’ll have it figured out.

This is what I came up with. Two parts I was pretty iffy on (second verse and a line in the chorus):

I hate to wake you from your slumber
Heaven forbid if that’s the case
Not the only whose got your number
You want more now that you’ve had a taste

A crooked smile, a clever (line of smoke?)
Keep all the critics there at bay
And all the while you’re out of ways to cope
Almost out of cards to play

Now you’re walking on a tightwire
But you ain’t Chucky Blondin
You’re playing both sides
And it’s only gonna backfire
And I don’t get no money (?),
got the whole world fooled
At least for a little while
Running out of tricks for your getaway sticks/stakes (?)

You make space to come up empty
'Cause their defense will be back soon
Fair weathered faces, yeah there’s plenty
More than enough to fill the room

And I don’t get no money (?),

I hate to wake you from your slumber
Heaven forbid if that’s the case
Not the only whose got your number
You want more now that you’ve had a taste

And I don’t got no money (?),

So apparently the new album will be called ‘A Likely Story’. Jay said in his Time Machine newsletter that ‘Pips’ will be featured in the new record.

2 Likes

Ooh missed that email - I like the title a lot! Paper Cuts, Ode to Silence, A Likely Story… all great names. This one in particular prompts questions - what is the story? Why is it likely?

Damn I missed the email too. I’ll have to double check.

On a side note, I do feel like Jays songwriting is gaining more depth between the new Oz record and Chucky Blondin. I feel like the lyrical “quality” is that of early Lifehouse. Does that make sense? It seems more natural and thoughtful.

Ok I feel bad now seeing that I’m the only who receive the email haha. Let me share a screenshot of that email.

Yes @shawn I feel the same way! Ode to Silence is one of most played album this last year. Looking forward to his 3rd album, hoping that there’ll be a good mix of new and old songs (cross fingers for Eighties and The Edge/What Happens Next)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I found it. I must’ve marked it read when it came in because I already saw his post on Instagram.

I’m also hoping for Take the Weight. There is a full copy out there (gold CD-R sold on eBay) but it was never shared to my knowledge :disappointed:

Haven’t had much of a chance to really listen to Little Ocean until just now but… is Jason having a baby!?

“Even Pips stuck around to say hello”

So incredibly happy for them if they are. “Windows” was a hard one to hear, but one of my favorite solo tunes for its raw emotion.

3 Likes