All of My Life - Lyrics & Discussion

I just started transcribing a few of the Time Machine tracks for the main site and for the first time, really paid attention to what he’s saying here. I think this more evidence to support the idea that he may have recently had a child (daughter?).

I wasn’t a big fan of the song when I first listened, probably because I was distracted and not giving it my attention. After reading these lyrics a few times, it’s such a sweet ode to someone. I’m still putting my bets on a daughter after his post that this could be seen as “You and Me’s little daughter”… Y&M was written for his wife. It all fits! Haha

There is a line in the bridge I can’t quite seem to figure out. Sounds like possibly “peace” and “slumber” but not sure.

When this life
Won’t give you a break
I’ll be your constant
I’ll be your safe place
There will be times
When the storms will be mean
I’ll be a lifeline
Always on your team

And I promise to love you
Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life
I’m gonna love you
No matter what we go through
Until the stars fall from the sky
Promise to love you
Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life

I won’t always get it right
But I know for certain
I won’t run and hide
'Cause you mean the world
And that doesn’t quite convey
How much I feel for you
A million words couldn’t say

Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life
I’m gonna love you
Promise to love you
Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life

Your eyes full of wonder
Like I ____ ____ and _____ _____
I’m so lost in this moment
And the spell you’ve got me under

Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life
I’m gonna love you
Promise to love you
Like nobody’s loved you
All of my life

1 Like

I think it might be “like on a breeze in the summer” but I’m not quite certain.
I definitely agree that it seems like he has a daughter, Little Ocean, Little Dream, All of My Life as Y&M’s Little Daughter… Little Ocean and Little Dream even share the “ocean” theme (“feel my feet in the sand…”) and Little Ocean has the lyrics “you and me” near the beginning.

Speaking of Little Ocean, does anyone know what this line says?

everything will turn out just as bright as______, cause I’ve got you my sweetest __________

Or this one:

You’ve got some love coming your way, turning every ____

I’ve been trying to understand them for months… :sweat_smile:

Oh, nice one! I hear this now. I’m leaning towards “Like a warm breeze in the summer”. What do you think?

As far as Little Ocean goes, the first half of the first line (00:36) I hear as: “everything will turn out just as right as rain”. I could be wrong here - it could very well be bright but it doesn’t make as much sense (not that the saying “right as rain” makes that much sense either!).

The other half of this line (00:38) I can’t really make out. It fits this pattern: “cause I’ve got you my sweet to stay upbeat.” I don’t really see that being the lyrics here though.

The other line you mention (01:58) is also a mystery. It really sounds like “turning every aww” which makes me wonder if it’s not “turning every” but something else. I hear these sounds (02:02) “tur-nee-ev-ree-uh”.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @shawn! You have cleared up months of mental anguish. I can definitely hear “right as rain” which I think makes a lot of sense. “I’ve got you my sweet to stay upbeat” sounds very accurate also (I was nowhere close… I thought he said “I’ve got you my sweetest day and be” :sweat_smile:)

It’s definitely “a warm breeze”. I even wrote those words down when I transcribed the lyrics the day it was released, I just typed them wrong here :laughing:

Here are some rudimentary ideas for what 2:02 of Little Ocean could be:

“…turning envy on”

“…turning heavy, oh”

“…turning heavier”

Those don’t make much sense… can love turn heavy?
I just hope that if A Likely Story is released physically it will come with lyrics…

You bet! I’ve often gone back over my own transcriptions after not hearing the song for a while and thought, “how did I miss this?”. Sometimes you just “hear” it a little differently.

I do hear an “r” sound in the second word though so I don’t think heavy fits. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a different suggestion there!

1 Like