Anyone has the lyrics for After the Deluge?

Couldn’t find lyrics for ATD and some parts really sounds like mumbling to a non-native speaker like me… Would really appreciate it if someone has access to the lyrics!

This is what I was able to come up with. The third verse (starts at 01:45) is a little tough to hear and at exactly the two minute mark there’s an error in the recording where it sounds like they tried to splice the track and didn’t do a very good job.

I intentionally left questionable parts out and placed at the bottom so hopefully someone can help transcribe it without skewing what they hear.

This reminds me of some of the S/T era lyrics about his father, especially when he changed the lyrics on only the second chorus from “see the sun” to “see your son”. :laughing:

It's been one for the books
I'm sure they're gonna be right again
Don't have your health but you still have your looks
Trade it in for some thicker skin

Call your third cousin twice removed
See if the numbers' still the same
And if she answers make the move
Find out if your momma changed her name

Now the rain is giving up
And the storms have stilled
After the deluge are you gonna stick around and see the sun?

You [1] your senses [2]
It's not coming from a pill
No [3] pills before the swine
As the suits drowning in the swill

After the deluge are you gonna stick around and see your son?

It's been one for the books
I'm sure they're gonna be right again
Don't have your health but you still have your looks
Trade it in for some thicker skin

After the deluge are you gonna stick around and see the sun?

[1] fill/fuel
[2] sounds like "by gone night" but obviously doesn't make sense
[3] sounds like "casting"

@shawn Great ear noticing the shift from ‘the sun’ to ‘your son’! Some sly songwriting on Jason’s part. Finally got around to listening to the album on my fancy new earbuds to hear the lyrics as best I can :smiley: After much straining, this is what I’m getting for that second verse and the chorus:

You feel your senses back online
It’s not coming from a pill
No ___ ___ ___ [cast in pearls?] before this wine
As the suits drown in the swill

And the storm has had its fill
After the deluge…

Not entirely sure about ‘before this wine’, but I looked up the word ‘swill’ and it has to do with overconsumption of alcohol, so maybe these ‘suits’ he speaks of are getting drunk on wine?

@shawn woahhh that’s amazing Shawn thank you so much for helping out! Been putting this song on repeat for a day now and being able to understand the majority of the lyrics really helped me enjoy the song a lot more!

@robert said in Anyone has the lyrics for After the Deluge?:

@shawn Great ear noticing the shift from ‘the sun’ to ‘your son’! Some sly songwriting on Jason’s part. Finally got around to listening to the album on my fancy new earbuds to hear the lyrics as best I can :smiley: After much straining, this is what I’m getting for that second verse and the chorus:

No ___ ___ ___ [cast in pearls?] before this wine

And the storm has had its fill
After the deluge…

Not entirely sure about ‘before this wine’, but I looked up the word ‘swill’ and it has to do with overconsumption of alcohol, so maybe these ‘suits’ he speaks of are getting drunk on wine?

to me the first sentence on verse 2 sounds more like “you feel your senses back alive” not sure if that makes sense XDDD also “cast in pearls” sounds about right but seems like he did a more complex pronunciation on the word “pearl”…

@elmerrrrr if you listen closely to “pearls”, the mix is messed up. Sounds like they tried to cut and move the vocal track and didn’t clean it up. I definitely hear pearls now that you guys mention it though. I’ll have to post these on the site in the morning. Nice job :+1:

2 Likes

Did some Googling on “casting pills” to see if that meant anything and stumbled upon this proverb from dictionary.com:

Do not waste good things on people who will not appreciate them. This proverb is adapted from a saying of Jesus from the Gospels, “Cast not pearls before swine.” Jesus appears to be warning his disciples to preach only before receptive audiences.

With that, I’m thinking:

No casting pearls before the swine

It “sounds” like it matches but I’m not sure I understand the context if it’s correct.

1 Like