Future Wars (EP)

Unexpected release! ‘Future Wars’ is a five-track EP out today. In May 2019, these song titles (except Smithereens) were published on BMI, so the songs would have been written soon after the first album (though likely recorded later, similar to how Head Movies was written before Born in a State but released six months later).

Very, very different sound than anything they’ve done to date; I kinda love it. A lot of synthwave vibes going on here. More upbeat and mucch more rock than folk. I particularly like Young Bloods and A Couple Runaways.

Definitely gonna be on repeat today; anyone who isn’t an Ozwald fan, give this one a listen and you might change your mind about them:)

@robert said in /404:

Unexpected release! ‘Future Wars’ is a five-track EP out today. In May 2019, these song titles (except Smithereens) were published on BMI, so the songs would have been written soon after the first album (though likely recorded later, similar to how Head Movies was written before Born in a State but released six months later).

Very, very different sound than anything they’ve done to date; I kinda love it. A lot of synthwave vibes going on here. More upbeat and mucch more rock than folk. I particularly like Young Bloods and A Couple Runaways.

Definitely gonna be on repeat today; anyone who isn’t an Ozwald fan, give this one a listen and you might change your mind about them:)

My favorite øzwald’s work of all. Perfect front to back. All the songs are gorgeous! 5/5

1 Like

@luiz4folks Young Bloods is definitely a top ØZ song for me, along with Fall, Fall, Fall, Requiem VII, Time, Tech Sky, Young Suburban Minds, and the These Days cover.

I’ve just finished listening to this all once through and I’m really impressed! This is unquestionably my favorite ØZWALD release as a whole.

I’m working on transcribing the lyrics so if anyone is interested in helping, please do. Thanks @robert for the publishing info! I included that in the track notes for each track (except for Smithereens).

EDIT I moved all the lyrics to the main site: Future Wars Lyrics - ØZWALD | LifehouseFans.net

I’ve really enjoyed the soundtrack to Halt and Catch Fire and artists such as Noah Gundersen and Holly Humberstone have incorporated some of this sound into their music. I never knew it was called synthwave… that’s good to know! When I get into my programming mode these types of tunes keep me laser focused.

1 Like

@shawn nice, no problem! I asked them on Instagram and they said it was written a while after SD and HM, for a short film called On The Rocks (they were commissioned to write a “record’s worth of songs” as a film score, and liked them enough to release them). It seems to be touring some film festivals right now which is cool.

Not sure if it’s actually synthwave or just inspired by that era of 80s music. Either way, some of the most unique vocals I’ve ever heard Jason be a part of, and something new and cool for both of them.

2 Likes

My attempt at lyrics for a few tracks (in addition to yours @shawn, which I agree with; things I’m feeling more unsure of are italicized :slight_smile:

Limelight Parade:
All these smiles look afraid
All these miles of masquerade
And all the while we’ve been played
In a sea, blue and grey (?)
Feel all spotlights (?)
Turning shadows

Welcome to some limelight parade

Young Bloods:
Young bloods, no one feels like letting down (?)
Running for the exit signs,
Tryin’ find a new (lost love)
Young bloods,
Tryin’ show the world what you’re made of
Old kicks tryna make the climb, tryin’ find a new (lost love)

A Couple Runaways:
We’ll been running down the ghost town
Feelin’ like we are close now
The coast is all clear
Watching the world disappear
Yeah, you’re my kinda trouble
Yeah, we’re both on the level

1 Like