Solo Album #3 (A Likely Story)

I was kinda wondering too… gosh I hope so. That would be wonderful!

1 Like

So, “A Likely Story” was released on Amazon Music (not sure about other streaming services), and it says that it is an EP that was released on January 12, 2023. Maybe Jason used his time machine too much and got his dates mixed up? :woman_shrugging:

Oh really? Does it show the tracklist? If so, can you share here?

Every time he releases a single, it comes with the previous singles he has released for the upcoming album under it with the new single’s album art. The four songs on the EP are the four he has released (Chucky Blondin, Little Ocean , What Happens Next, A Likely Story).

Maybe this is just considered an EP on Amazon Music because it is four songs long? And the date is a mistake? Doesn’t Jason usually wait a few weeks to release a single publicly off of the Time Machine?

Yeah, I’m guessing that’s wrong. He specifically mentioned recording Butterfly and Eighties for this and that it was an album - no mention of an EP. My guess is that Jason hasn’t uploaded the rest of the tracks yet so it’s only showing the released ones.

2 Likes

One of my big beefs with Spotify and Amazon is the way they categorize releases themselves, rather than artists putting the label they want on it. It’s more lucrative to include all the releases to date, but after four or five it starts messing up the discography section by listing a bunch of “EPs” that are really just singles.

J has been calling it a “record”, which is what he kept referring to Goodbye Kanan as when it was released and that was only six songs… so his idea of a “record” doesn’t equal a long play album. However, it was referred to as an “album” by a recent interview, so I suspect it’ll be released as a longer set and this is just a blip. He mentioned something big happening next week so maybe it’s an official announcement?

1 Like

Jason released acoustic versions of Little Ocean and What Happens Next. I especially enjoy Little Ocean’s acoustic version- the piano fits it really well! I still can’t make out a few words in Little Ocean, even though the lyrics seem to be clearer.

1 Like

I really like these acoustic versions. What happens next is actually the original version without drums, but really beautiful. I like the backing vocals at the end of little oceans.

1 Like

Jason has released an acoustic version of Chucky Blondin and I love it! This one, unlike the other two, has a correct release date listed on Amazon Music… I wonder if he’ll make an acoustic version of A Likely Story… I hope so, and I hope that if he does then he’ll keep that lovely guitalele intro. In Chucky Blondin, I think the vocals are a lot easier to understand in the spots that we weren’t sure of the words before, and I can finally hear “cause their defense will be back soon” better than my first transcription of that line as “said the Feds will be back soon” (which is more humorous but makes less sense).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Jason had accidentally put the wrong year on all of his recent releases so they should have been released in 2024 on their listed day and month and not 2023. “A Likely Story” and the acoustic versions of “Little Ocean” and “What Happens Next” have been removed from streaming services.

When do you reckon the album gonna come out? I think it’s going to release soon enough, now that we’ve heard 4 tracks from the album

Didn’t Jason release all but Windows as a single before releasing Ode to Silence? So, he could possibly be doing that again with his next album, in which case we’d still have a while to go… but he might not do that again. Øzwald’s Garden of the Sun only had three singles released before the album was fully released, and then an acoustic version of the title track released afterwards. Plus, he might want us to have a “surprise” factor on the album for the reimagined old Lifehouse b-sides that he has mentioned putting on A Likely Story. He’s already released What Happens Next, so he might be saving the others (if he is still planning on putting them on the album) for the official album release. I just hope it comes out this year… I’m so excited.

Yup yup exciting times to be in, as a Lifehouse/Jason/ØZ fans. New album on the horizon, old songs being reworked, old demoes that we haven’t listened, or who else knows what other projects in the work (well Jason definitely knows lol).

Maybe this is the blessing in disguise now that Lifehouse is in hiatus/gone. And I’d argue it’s much better as we’re getting so many new songs instead of a 10-20 songs in an album. And it’s also probably for the best, I imagine they would not fare well in this 2min/tiktok songs era.

1 Like

Today on the Time Machine livestream, Jason and Steve played a uke & acoustic guitar rendition of a song that’ll be off A Likely Story called Leonard Cohen Nights! Some of us will remember Jason posting the lyrics to this one on his Instagram in January 2021. This song is BEAUTIFUL. Should be out in a month’s time. I’m so excited to hear it on a recording that doesn’t cut out mid way through haha.

He mentioned they’ll keep releasing singles from the album throughout the year and likely release the whole thing in the fall sometime, so we sadly have some patience we must exercise here. Still, very exciting:)

3 Likes