Time Machine lyrics & discussion

Could use another set of ears on the lyrics for Time Machine.

After listening to Windows, I find myself drawing comparisons to that song.

Something has happened or is happening (the news we’ve been given) that is causing restless nights. It seems there is a brief reprieve from the pain of this by sleep (One second it’s fine / then it shifts and it’s time to wake) and they need to decide what to do next (Is your mind like mine / tryin’ to figure out the next move to make?). Perhaps this is about a miscarriage as @snowfist suggested regarding Windows or maybe a diagnosis of something serious (cancer?).

Time Machine by Jason Wade

It’s a quarter to three, are you sleeping or are you awake?
Is your mind like mine tryin’ to process the news we’ve been given?
The power is out in the house in this [stranger, new state / 0:37 - 0:39]
The rain and the tears become one,
This doesn’t feel much like livin’

And I built you a time machine
[do/to] anything to make you happy
And it might be space that you need
If you want me to stay here just ask me

I wish that I could take all of those feelings away
Throw them in a canyon,
Bury them in the sand or just [01:25 - 01:27]

One second its fine
Then it shifts and its time to wake.
This isn’t the movie we thought we were in
Theres no silver screen

Oh, if you want me to stay here just ask me

It’s a quarter to three,
Are you sleeping or are you awake?
Is your mind like mine,
Tryin’ to figure out the next move to make?

Oh, if you want me to stay here just ask me

That line is hard for me too… I’ve resolved to singing “bury them in the sand or just Italy” and move on :grin:

I had originally heard the song as “and I build you up, time machine. Do anything to make you happy”, so I can’t believe I missed “build you a time machine” since it’s more obvious. I suspect “do” instead of “to”, although “build you a time machine to anything to make you happy” is a cool line. The song has a melancholy to it where the narrator feels a bit helpless, and saying that he’d do anything, even build a time machine, to make the other person happy makes sense to me.

Time Machine and Windows are definitely speaking on the same topic / person(s). But contrary to Windows, this one sounds a bit hopeful/optimistic.

I can really relate to the lines -
I wish that I could take all of those feelings away
Throw them in a canyon,
Bury them in the sand

Wanting to console, being helpful but feeling helpless at the same time.

On a another note, I would love if Jason could give some comments on this collection of songs like he did with Paper Cuts

@robert said in Time Machine lyrics & discussion:

That line is hard for me too… I’ve resolved to singing “bury them in the sand or just Italy” and move on :grin:

That’s hilarious! That’s exactly what I heard as well. I’m going to try and figure this one out though!

@snowfist said in Time Machine lyrics & discussion:

On a another note, I would love if Jason could give some comments on this collection of songs like he did with Paper Cuts

I would love this! I think this would be more likely if he were to ever tour … I can think of a great band he could open for! :grin: