Jason launches "the Time Machine" with exclusive content!

@robert Jason mentioned a couple months ago on instagram that he’ll be doing How Long :grin:

1 Like

Am I losing my mind or did Jay record Take the Weight? Maybe not a studio version but for some reason I feel like there was some Instagram acoustic thing? Maybe I’m just losing my mind… :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

[https://www.instagram.com/reel/B_s96ofn4NY/]
I think this might be what you’re thinking of

1 Like

Thank you! I think that was the one. Good find!

Edit: that was great. Thanks again. I absolutely love that song and I hope he records that one of these days.

1 Like

A new release has been detected:

Title: ReWind Wednesday - Switzerland
URL: https://www.allswellrecords.com/rewind-wednesday-switzerland

Title: Willing to Try - Demo
URL: https://www.allswellrecords.com/willing-to-try-demo

1 Like

I love this one! I can definitely imagine it on the yellow record… I love the lyrics, and the chorus is great… but my favorite part is the sneeze at 3:28 :laughing:

Edit: I thought I might as well transcribe the lyrics as best as I could. It’s hard to tell if he’s singing today or tonight, and there are a few parts I’m still uncertain about.

Needless to say, you know I need you.
We both know that I’ve been on my own.
Tired of trying to make all these ends meet.
And I’m tired of being alone.
Everything (in this time?) you know I’ve heard before
And everything just keeps on repeating.
I’m left with nothing else but the thirst for something more…
And I don’t know why.

And I don’t know where I’m gonna be tomorrow.
And I don’t know where I’ve ended up tonight.
and I don’t know if I could be the one that you said that I could be.
But I’m willing to try.
Yeah, I’m willing to try.

I’m moving on to something better.
Picked up the pieces on the way.
The sun is rising just around the corner.
Leave it all to yesterday.

And I don’t know if I could be the one that you thought I should be.
But I’m willing to try.
Oh, you’ve got hope in your eyes.
Just for once leave behind (?)
What you lost you can find
in this place and this time
You got all that you need.
You can choose who you’ll be.
Turn around…
Turn around…

And I don’t know if I could be the one that you thought that I should be.
But I’m willing to try.
And I don’t know how I’m gonna face the moment.
And I don’t know how to make it all right.
And I don’t know if I got anything left but you got the best of me.
So, I’m willing to try.

Also, something I found interesting… the photo Jason released along with this demo is from the same moment as one of the photos located in the SCF “photos” section of this site, which has a different angle so you can’t see the person taking the photo. I’m guessing the words on the mirror on the right of “Lifehouse Rox” say “Kendall Payne Rox”… I wonder who wrote on the mirrors…

1 Like

Thanks for transcribing these! I haven’t had a ton of time to update the lyrics portion of the site but I’ll definitely get these up. This is such a good demo. It has a yellow record vibe for sure, but so many hallmarks of the earlier years that it just shows how much of a difference a different producer can have on an artists sound.

Good catch on the Diet Snapple picture match up. It took me a sec to figure out which one it was. Pretty awesome!

—-

Edit: transcription looks good. I can’t tell what that fifth line is. “Everything in this time” sounds right but it doesn’t make much sense. @robert is pretty good at deciphering some of these though.

What else could sound like “in-nis”?

—-

Edit 2: could it be a reference to a saying? Like: ”Everything in it’s time” you know I’ve heard before.

2 Likes

It’s so hard to transcribe because I can hear him saying so many different words. It could be “you know I’ve”, but I can also hear “and all I’ve” and “I know I’ve.” It could be hurt instead of heard (but I think heard makes more sense here). We pretty much know for certain that the words everything, time, and before are correct, so we just need to find an arrangement of the other parts that makes sense…

Everything (in this/in its/it is) time (you know/I know/ and all) I’ve heard before

@shawn it very likely could be like the saying, but that still feels a little bit off to me for some reason… it’s just so hard to tell, though I am most definitely way-overthinking things like usual

Edit: maybe it is something like:

Everything, it is time you know I’ve heard before

As in saying, it is time I told you that I’ve heard everything already (I’m not sure how to describe my thought process lol)

1 Like

The beginning sounds like How Long to me. Trying to figure out the lyrics on this one. Quite straightforward, just might need more listening to figure out that one word :sweat_smile:

Room To Breathe

I was waiting for something more that I know you couldn’t give
I was hoping for nothing less than life that you couldn’t live
But all the memories fade and time can always heal

And I wanted more for you and me
And I tried to give you room to breathe
Could you ? and hear me out before you leave and fade away to yesterday

I was hoping you change your mind, I knew it was already made
I was hoping to leave behind a past that’s left in the grave
I feel the common ground is sinking in the sand

Could you ? and hear me out before you leave and fade today

Before you go the other way
Think of all this line on the ground
Take a look at what you have 'cause I might not be around anymore

Could you ? and hear me out before you leave and fade away to yesterday

2 Likes

When I listened to Room to Breathe before, I had always assumed he was singing “change”, but now that you mention it, that might not be right. He could just be not pronouncing the end of the word, but he pronounced the “g” sound at another point in the song… maybe he’s saying “chant”? :woman_shrugging:

Wow nice! Thanks for writing these out. I think the missing word in the chorus is “try”. Such a beautiful demo.

He still uses that signature “wh-and” sound here which makes me think this was earlier than any other yellow record track/demo.

Edit: In the bridge, I think it’s “Think of all that’s lyin’ on the ground.”

1 Like

Great deciphering @peppermint and @shawn! I think you’ve got it. Just listening to it for the first time now, and the first round I thought he said ‘everything in this town you know I’ve heard before’ but I think it does sound more like “time”. I’m definitely hearing “this time” rather than “its time”, but on those old demoes Jason would definitely mis-sing the odd word since it was in one vocal take, so my spidey sense says that Shawn’s interpretation is correct and that “‘everything in its time’, you know I’ve heard before” was the intended lyric. I like it – I think the saying fits with the rest of the lyrics nicely:)

Later on, the “Just for once leave behind, what you lost / you can find in this place / and this time, you got all that you need” sounds right to me too.

This is already one of my favourite demoes he’s ever released!! I suspect this was early-mid 2003. I get strong Everybody is Someone vibes, but he’s also using still the e-bow that he pretty much stopped using in late 03/early 04 when writing for the yellow record. Those long drawn out notes in the chorus are very reminiscent of Blyss-era & No Name Face songs, and the way he played live on the SCf tour (though less so on the record). Blyss x yellow is a cool mix!!! Also the words are classic Lifehouse.

2 Likes

Jason says that there is very exciting news that will be unveiled next week on the Time Machine… I’m a very curious person, so that alone is torture enough for me, but he also wrote “very” in all caps so now I’m even more curious… maybe it has something to do with why there was no Time Machine post this week?

New Time Machine giveaway coming up in a few weeks… subscribe for a chance to win this hand written hanging by a moment lyric… framed and sent to you… also we have some VERY exciting Time Machine news we are going to unveil next week! Stay tuned… and ya know… stay cozy… analog smiley face

1 Like

I’m so curious too. He didn’t say album news, so this suggests something with the format of the Time Machine itself… can’t imagine what it is but I’ll wait patiently.

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to this news but trying to keep my expectations in line. I’ll settle for a 2024 version of Eighties though :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m trying to keep my expectations in line too… but it doesn’t help that my first thought when I read his post was “maybe he’ll release the original lyrics to the unfinished song called No Name Face” :sob: I’ve been trying to convince myself that the news won’t be that good but it isn’t working very well… and by “next week” I hope he meant “Wednesday”and not “Friday” but I kind of doubt it will be then…

Haha the waiting is killing us isn’t it? Yeah agree with @shawn I’m definitely happy with a new version of Eighties. Or any other old b-sides. That said, I hope he’ll still release acoustics of The Beginning and How Long. Either one should’ve released last week right…

1 Like

I’m am so excited right now that I can barely think straight… part of acoustic dragonflies up on Instagram of exactly the parts we couldn’t transcribe: stars fell out of our eyes…. Now we are cold and we are alone- I love these lyrics so much more than what I had transcribed… and the acoustic is so beautiful just like the original
plus there will be live streams with song requests!!! I really hope it’s not while I’m at school…

2 Likes

Title: The Beginning - Live Video
URL: https://www.allswellrecords.com/the-beginning-live-video

1 Like